Cabinet meets regularly and operates under Westminster conventions. The deliberations of Cabinet are confidential, in order that the members of Cabinet may exchange differing views and at the same time maintain the principle of collective responsibility for any decision which may be made.
Support to Cabinet and the Cabinet process is provided by the Cabinet Office through:
- providing administrative support to the Chief Minister and Cabinet
- assisting the Chief Minister and the Secretary to Cabinet to manage Cabinet’s forward agenda
- providing advice and training to officials on Cabinet processes
- maintaining the archive of ACT Cabinet papers
- monitoring and enforcing compliance with the Cabinet Handbook and the Cabinet Paper Drafting Guide
- coordinating the Cabinet Liaison Officer (CLO) Network
- facilitate the Accessing of Cabinet Outcomes through the Executive Document Release and the preparation of weekly Summaries of Cabinet Outcomes.
ACT Cabinet Handbook
The Cabinet Handbook provides guidance for ACT Government officials on how to bring business before Cabinet, how to consult adequately with other ACT agencies and how to draft Cabinet papers that allow Cabinet to make deliberative, informed decisions.
Better Practice Toolkit
The Better Practice Toolkit is an online resource developed to assist with managing the operation of ACT Cabinet processes. The Toolkit provides guidance on significant matters affecting Commonwealth, state and territory relations or relations with external bodies.
Cabinet Paper Drafting Guide
The Cabinet Paper Drafting Guide provides guidance for ACT Government officials on how to bring business before Cabinet, how to consult adequately with other ACT agencies and how to draft Cabinet papers that allow Cabinet to make deliberative, informed decisions.
Parliamentary Agreement for the 9th Legislative Assembly
Parliamentary Agreement between ACT Labor and the ACT Greens to provide the ACT with stable and effective Government for the 9th Legislative Assembly
Questions on Notice Guidelines
Guidelines on preparing responses to Questions on Notice which may involve a substantial diversion of resources
The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. If, however, you experience problems accessing the information or functions in any uploaded PDF or Word document, please contact the Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate. We will endeavour to fix the problem or provide the information in an alternative format.