Reading is a great way to relax, so it’s the perfect activity to indulge in over summer (and any other time) and Libraries ACT has a number of initiatives to get adults and children motivated.
Did you know that a child’s reading skills can decline over the summer holidays? To ensure they return to the new school year full of confidence, encourage them to pick up a book over the break and get reading.
Our handy hints to get kids reading over the holiday period include:
- read aloud with your child every day
- keep lots of reading material around the house including books, magazines, newspapers and comics
- let kids choose what they read
- listen to audio books in the car
- ask kids about what they’re reading and listen to what they say
- encourage kids to keep a scrapbook of your family’s summer activities
- book into one, or more, of our school holiday programs for entertainment and learning
- check out all the entertaining and educational eResources we have for kids, like Literacy Planet and Story Box Library.
“To motivate children to read new and exciting titles, we’ve developed the Chatterbox Reading Challenge, which is an entertaining way for children to select a new book to read, a new environment to read in and even a new way to read,” said Director of Libraries ACT Vanessa Little.
”We also have a reading challenge for adults who need inspiration or would like to read more widely. The 2018 Reading Challenge is a list of 30 criteria to look for in a book. Readers can use it to find books that meet the criteria, read them and tick them off their list as they go.
“Parents can encourage their children to get reading over the school holiday period by showing they enjoy reading too. Take the Challenge together and make it a regular dinner table conversation. Talk about books you’re reading, books you’re interested in and what your favourite newly discovered genre is. The Reading Challenge is a terrific way to discover new and exciting titles and authors,” Ms Little said.
Visit the library website to download a copy of the 2018 Reading Challenge List or the Chatterbox Reading Challenge.
“Libraries ACT branches will be open over the summer providing an oasis out of the heat. Be sure to visit us regularly. If you’re heading away on a family holiday, drop by before you go and stock up on a variety of books to take with you on your trip.”
For a full list of the Libraries ACT Christmas/New Year closures, visit www.library.act.gov.au.
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate | Media Releases