Reminder: Free Professional Development Workshop: How to Support Learners’ Foundation Skill Development in your VET Classroom – RSVPs close Friday 15 May 2015.
The ACT Education and Training Directorate (the Directorate) is hosting a foundation skills workshop for VET teachers on Friday 29 May 2015. This workshop continues the successful series of foundation skills workshops offered by the Directorate in 2014.
About the Workshop
This workshop is aimed at VET teachers who have learners with language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) support needs in their classes. It will include a mix of information and practical hands-on activities covering:
- How to identify the LLN skills of a learner group as a whole
- How to identify the LLN demands in training specifications
- How to provide support for foundation skill development during planning and delivery of a VET program, applying the above information.
There will also be an opportunity to share ideas with other VET trainers about strategies and resources you use to support your learners’ LLN needs.
About the Facilitator: Jana Scomazzon
Over the 14 years that Jana Scomazzon has been developing and facilitating foundation skills workshops, participants have spoken of her deep knowledge of foundation skills, the clarity with which she shares that knowledge, and her engaging presentation style. A former adult literacy practitioner, Jana is a recognised expert in LLN, foundation skills, Training Packages and the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) in the VETcontext.
Jana’s 2014 ACT workshop on conducting initial skills assessment and using the ACSF was highly successful. When asked what they liked about the workshop participants told us:
- The way it was presented was excellent. I would definitely attend another training by this trainer
- All sections ran into each other very well. Jana you mixed up your strategies for engagement to keep the training flowing, excellent day
- The whole presentation was engaging and relevant, the handout will be very useful, I feel that it was very well done
- The number of activities that gave the theory relevance, and a deeper understanding of the ACSF
- All of the workshop
- All of it, networking, clarification of the use of the ACSF, the case studies and examples
- All of it – excellent delivery
- All of it, the fact it was practical, not all theory
Workshop details (morning tea and lunch will be provided)
Time and Date: 8:45am – 3:00pm Friday 29 May 2015
Location: Multipurpose Room, Hedley Beare Centre for Teaching and Learning, 51 Fremantle Drive, STIRLING ACT 2611
Submitted on 2015-05-06 by Matthew Haggan