Smart City Canberra
"Smart cities use real time information and technology to engage and collaborate with residents to better plan and access services, deliver integrated, smart transport, attract and create jobs, and place the citizen in the centre of all service delivery.”
Canberra: A Statement of Ambition, 2016
The ACT Government is committed to evolving Canberra into a smart and connected digital city, through leading-edge initiatives like the CBRfree WiFi network, one of Australia’s largest free outdoor public WiFi networks, and an integrated smart parking network currently being trialled in one of our boutique shopping districts.
The ACT Government’s smart city program utilises smart partnerships, smart policy and smart technology to ensure Canberra remains the world’s most liveable city.
Explore our smart city projects
- CBRfree public WiFi: Free public WiFi being rolled-out across Canberra, providing users with access up to 250 megabytes per day.
- Smart parking: A trial at Manuka that uses innovative technology to save drivers time, reduce traffic delays and provide a better overall user experience.
- Smart street lights: Canberra’s new streetlight network which will aim to improve cost and energy efficiency while supporting services such as environmental monitoring.
- Renewable energy by 2020: Canberra’s plan to source 100% of our electricity from renewable sources.
- The digital backpack: Our online portal which provides safe and secure access to a range of online learning platforms for Canberra students.
3 November 2016: Canberra a step closer to becoming a world-leading smart city
14 September 2016: ACT Digital Strategy bringing cohesion to the digital landscape