Released 15/05/2013

The ACT Chief Health Officer, Dr Paul Kelly today said that ACT Health is also investigating an outbreak of gastroenteritis linked to another food premises. Over 60 suspected cases of gastrointestinal illness have been reported among persons who ate at the premises on Sunday 12 May.

"No organism has been identified for the second outbreak. None of the cases associated with the second outbreak have been hospitalised.

 "Today the restaurant is closed and ACT Health is currently working closely with the restaurant's management to establish the cause of the outbreak. The restaurant has provided names of bookings and ACT Health are contacting patrons of the restaurant.

"This outbreak is routine in nature and to date no one interviewed have sought medical attention at general practice or hospital as a result of this outbreak. People affected appear to be recovering quickly," Dr Kelly said

"Symptoms have been including diarrhoea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.

"All persons interviewed so far reported a short illness and have fully recovered.

"Many cases do not need medical treatment and resolve themselves. People experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis should ensure they remain well hydrated by drinking fluids.

"People experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis should avoid preparing food (including working in food preparation or service) while they are unwell," Dr Kelly said.

Further information is available on the ACT Health Website on

 http://health.act.gov.au/publications-reports/fact-sheets/salmonella

 

- Statement ends -

Section: ACT Health Directorate | Media Releases

Media Contacts

Name Phone Mobile Email

Alexandra Kellar

6205 0837

0466 655 136

alexandra.kellar@act.gov.au


«ACT Government Media Releases | «Directorate Media Releases