ACT seeks defence industry expertise to support job growth
The ACT Government is aiming to further diversify the local economy and create more jobs by supporting the growth of defence related industries.
The Department of Defence already injects about $3.1 billion into the Canberra region’s economy and creates about 16,800 jobs. When we take related industries into account, the defence sector contributes around $7 billion and 30,000 jobs to the Canberra region.
The ACT Government recently appointed Kate Lundy as our first ACT Defence Industry Advocate. To further support her work, the Government has also formed the ACT Defence Industry Advisory Board and the Canberra Region Defence Industry Capability Directory which will ensure that the Canberra region benefits from the Commonwealth Government’s commitment to increased defence expenditure.
The ACT Defence Industry Advisory Board will provide strategic advice on how we maximise the benefit to the Canberra region of the Defence White Paper. We are particularly interested in growing areas where the ACT has significant capabilities including space and spatial technologies, geospatial intelligence, cyber security, health and fitness and the services that go to support defence.
The Board brings together strong military credentials with an understanding of the key sectors that are the future drivers of the diversification of our economy.
Board Members are:
- Air Marshal (Ret’d) Geoff Brown AO - Chair
- Air Vice Marshal (Ret’d) Mark Skidmore AM
- Rear Admiral (Ret’d) Raydon Gates AO CSM
- Brigadier (Ret’d) Alison Creagh CSC
- Mr Tony Henshaw, Chair of the Canberra Cyber Network
- Mr Adam Smith, CEO of Geoplex Pty Ltd and Chair of the Canberra Space-Spatial Sector Development Committee
- Mr Robert Forbes, Commercial Director, CEA Technologies and Chair of the ACT Branch of the Australian Industry Defence Network
- Mr Glenn Keys, Co-Founder Aspen Medical and Chair of the Canberra Business Chamber
- Ms Kate Lundy, ACT Defence Industry Advocate (ex-officio).
The Canberra Region Defence Industry Capability Directory is available at www.act.gov.au/defence. Companies and organisations wishing to be included in the Directory can also register at the website.
- Statement ends -
Section: Andrew Barr, MLA | Media Releases
02 6205 2775
0466 521 634