Canberrans should expect delays as a result of road closures and changed traffic arrangements around Exhibition Park in Canberra between Thursday 4 and Sunday 7 January 2018 for Summernats 31.
“We want to see people safely enjoy this event while also taking into consideration nearby residents and road users,” Transport Canberra and City Services’ Traffic Management and Safety Senior Manager, Robyn Hawkins, said.
“The following arrangements will be in place to help us manage the large influx of people and vehicles.”
The ACT Government has developed these arrangements with the Australian Federal Police, Exhibition Park in Canberra, Summernats and residents from Watson and Downer.
Location of closures and changed arrangements
Around Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC) in Watson and Braddon.
Timing of closures and changed arrangements
The closures and changed arrangements will be in place for the duration of the event, between Thursday 4 and Sunday 7 January 2018.
- Stirling Avenue will be closed between Knox Street and the Federal Highway from 10 am on Thursday 4 January to 7 pm on Sunday 7 January 2018.
- Lonsdale Street will be closed between Cooyong Street and Girrahween Street from 9 pm to 1 am on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 January 2018.
- Elouera Street will be closed between Torrens Street and Mort Street from 9 pm to 1 am on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 January 2018.
Changed traffic arrangements
- Left turns will be prohibited from Flemington Road onto Randwick Road during peak times.
- The speed limit on Flemington Road between the Federal Highway and Sandford Street will be reduced to 40km/h.
- Additional parking will be available north of Exhibition Park in Canberra, with access via Sandford Street or Old Well Station Road.
- ‘No Parking’ and ‘No Camping’ signs will be erected on both sides of Northbourne Avenue and the Federal Highway.
- There will be a no ‘drop-off’ or ‘pick-up’ area along Flemington Road. Designated ‘drop-off’ and ‘pick-up’ areas will be provided along Randwick Road.
Delays and detours
- Delays are expected on Northbourne Avenue and the Federal Highway near Exhibition Park in Canberra.
- Light rail construction work is ongoing along Flemington Road. Some delays can be expected and motorists are advised to avoid the area where possible or use alternative routes.
- Motorists are encouraged to use Antill Street and Wakefield Avenue as alternative routes.
- Motorists travelling to and from Gungahlin are advised to use Gungahlin Drive.
“Alcohol free zones will be created along Aspinall Street, Morisset Road, Stirling Avenue, Northbourne Avenue, Lonsdale Street and the Federal Highway within the ACT in both directions,” Ms Hawkins said.
“Short sections of Old Well Station Road, Flemington Road and Phillip Avenue have also been nominated as alcohol free zones. The parking area north of EPIC and the parking area at the corner of Randwick Road and Flemington Road will also be alcohol free.
“Parking officers will be active in the area during Summernats and drivers are reminded to park legally. Illegal verge parking will also be enforced by parking inspectors, with a particular focus on pedestrian and vehicle line of sight safety issues.”
For more information on road closures please visit www.tccs.act.gov.au
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate | Media Releases